It keeps quitting back to workbench

Amiga Game
Cego

Re: It keeps quitting back to workbench

Post by Cego »

Aged Code wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:14 pm If the game doesn't start even without the s-s then something else must be not right. Is your V1200 updated with the latest core? Do you start the game with execute aquabyss?
yes thats how I start the game from shell. I will investigate further and report. Thanks for the help
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Cego wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 pm yes thats how I start the game from shell. I will investigate further and report. Thanks for the help
Always. As I said on a1k, we won't leave anyone without trying to help him run the game. Btw. there are other V1200 users who successfully started and played the game. I hope they will post here their hardware and system config. I'll ask Gunnar too, and will report back.

Update: He recommended reporting on their Apollo channel. There are many V1200 users who will definitely be of help. Let us know your findings.
xboxown

Post by xboxown »

Some of us are terrible fire users though
Cego

Post by Cego »

I have tried installing the game from floppy again. After it automatically updated the installer on the floppy I was able to install the game. But after double clicking I get an 8000 000A Guru requester

Edit: It works now. Had to set maxtransfer to 0x1fe00 and mask to 0xFFFFFFF
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Edit: It works now. Had to set maxtransfer to 0x1fe00 and mask to 0xFFFFFFF
Oh, that's interesting. But pretty much covers what we already said about corrupted files on some drives due to the incorrect MaxTransfer. We're glad you've got it!
Cego

Post by Cego »

I have tried to narrow it down and its not completely due to a wrong maxtransfer - at least it seems that way. In my initial post here the game was installed on a partition with a correct maxtransfer setting and still it didn't work.

In my last attempt - which was successful - I had formatted a new partition with maxtransfer at 0x1fe00 and installed it from floppy. This way the installer downloaded the most recent updates from the server directly.
So I thought I should try and copy the old Aquabyss installation (which I downloaded manually from the ftp) and copy it to the same partition as the working installation. To my surprise (or not) the old installation still quits back to WB after selecting the language.
I am kinda puzzled, but the main difference here is not the maxtransfer, but the fact that one game installation was downloaded manually from the ftp and the other was installed via floppy.

Maybe somebody can recreate this and report.

Edit: After copying the working installation to my other partition it still works. So thats all I can say.
xboxown

Post by xboxown »

So what I said is true then!!! The LHA does not work..it need to be installed from the server then!! I was right all along! I understood the concept of providing offline version for people who don't have internet, but it seems the only way the game actually works is through downloading from the server itself. Any other method and it fails. Here is the part that baffles me however, I am unsure how this happen as well.

With me, I had the physical mechanical hard drive hooked via USB adapter into my computer and ran through WinUAE. In there the max transfer, etc all set up when I have installed OS 3.2.1 through WinUAE into my physical you can touch hard drive. In there, at first, I tried the game.lha provided to me as offline and it quit to desktop immediately.

Then I deleted it completely the game and just used the simple 30 KB installer and enjoyed it downloading from the C64 GEOS server into my hard drive in which it works 100%. So all the settings, max transfer, blah blah already been configured with installation of OS 3.2.1 and installation of the game via server and it works 100%. At that point, it shouldn't matter if I use this hard drive in an A2000, A500, WinUAE, A1200, etc...because the basic configuration of the hard drive is not altered same if it works in WinUAE then logically speaking it should work on all Amiga 68k systems regardless of their case, ram, and accelerator configuration. As my understanding it does not marry to the hardware which is impossible. Agreed. Why is it then as soon as I take it from WinUAE and hook the physical hard drive into my A500 without altering any setting as-is now puts me in a situation where I posted this topic, "It keeps quitting to workbench"?

Apparently, I am not alone on this at all.
Cego

Post by Cego »

@xboxown

That is not entirely true. The same archive worked on my A500 020@35MHz setup.
Maybe the files get corrupted depending on which unarchiver is used. That’s the only possible point of corruption that makes sense in all this.
I will have to investigate on this to verify.

On my A1200 I used Unarc/Xad and on my A500 Peperoni which uses Lha from c: afair

I had several archives in the past which got corrupted files with unarc and I always had to unpack them manually with lha via shell

Installing via floppy bypasses this of course resulting in a working game
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

xboxown wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:56 am So what I said is true then!!! The LHA does not work...
WHOA, hold your horses, cowboy. I just downloaded both Lha archives from the FTP and from the store — both unpacked on a real Amiga and run without a problem.

Writing that something doesn't work without proper testing is confusing for other readers so please, refrain from such statements. Thank you in advance.

Be aware that transferring a file from a PC/Mac to the Amiga can also result in corrupting it. In cases like this, the user can easily check the archive integrity. Here's one of the methods:

1. Download CRC32 from Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/crc32
It requires MUI but you may also look for an alternative.

2. Check if the CRC sum matches this one: F6E2B2E8
This sum applies only to this version of the archive, the next ones will have a different one.

AQUABYSS_0.93.08_crc.png
AQUABYSS_0.93.08_crc.png (16.57 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Cego

Post by Cego »

It is like I assumed. Unpacking the archive with XAD/Unarc (xadmaster v12.1) leads to a faulty games folder. Unpacking the same archive with LHA v2.15 works.

So the archive is not corrupt. It depends on how the archive is extracted.
Last edited by Cego on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.