It keeps quitting back to workbench

Amiga Game
marmacc
Developer

Re: It keeps quitting back to workbench

Post by marmacc »

Aged Code wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:48 pm Now it's a PC but for nine months it was a real Amiga.
That was a cool experience. We connected to 68040 Amiga :) And it works perfect for the betas.
Thomas9

Post by Thomas9 »

xboxown wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:07 am Have you tried the installation from server and see if that makes any difference?
As I mentioned above I don't have (yet) an internet connection on my A1200

In the meantime I succeeded at least to run the Aquabyss game on Amiberry 5.4 emulator :!:
I started the installer on the ADF and after an online update to a newer version and a restart it downloaded the latest archiv from the server. Then I started the game, but ... the mouse pointer didn't move a single bit! Only the left mouse button seemed to trigger the right reaction. So I returned to Amiberry's Config Window and after a while and some testing I found out that this two options must be disabled: Virtual Mouse Driver and Magic Mouse Untrap .

But what I read here is also very interesting and I still want to play Aquabyss on my A1200 and not only on an emulator. So tomorrow I will open the archiv with LhA instead of unarc and XAD.library ! :geek:
xboxown

Post by xboxown »

I never bothered installing this xad.library. Is it important? Heheh...i cannot believe I am discussing xad.library and Amiga OS version in a forum for an online game ...eeeeeeeeeee....I feel like it is steam but for Amiga and Amiga is new technology released in 2022 ahahahaha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Such a severe fuzzy feeling lol :lol:

I am just thinking about steam.....maybe we should write a steam application for Amiga??! All Amiga games out there available in steam for Amiga commercial, free, demo, etc...with screenshot and even cdxl video to play 2 minute video of what the game is about. THIS CONCEPT is hot To open AmiSteam in my A500 hahahah using the ecs I see screenshots of the game, etc
Thomas9

Post by Thomas9 »

Okay, now it even runs on my Amiga 1200 ... Hooray!

This time I extracted the archive AQUABYSS_0.93.08 with LhA 2.15 - somehow the result is different than with xadmaster.library (and Avalanche 1.7 as GUI). Before that I tested the archive with CRC32 after the transfer from Download on my Mac to a FAT32 formatted SD-Card and the copy onto my Amiga. Luckily the result is the same as shown in this thread for this archive. So there is no modification going on between the AQUABYSS-server and my Amiga. It must be the choise of decompression you get. Unbelievable ... it's not the first time that I use xadmaster.library/Avalanche

I started the game both without Startup-Sequence and from Workbench. In both cases the game runs, but only without Startup-Sequence there is sound. But I know: as it was mentioned here this is because the game runs out of (Chip-)memory when started from Workbench so it doesn't load the sound and the result is just a silent game
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

It's great that another user could solve this problem with the help of this discovery. I've never used anything else except stand-alone Lha, Lzx, etc., so it wouldn't even come to my mind that the culprit was the unpacking method.

Sound & Chip Mem
This will be improved in the future, there's still a place for optimizing this area. But before any bigger changes take place, we'll implement a simple keyboard shortcut to turn the music on or off as well as SFX. Turns out going to the in-game menu (after the game is started) takes around 200 kB for just displaying it (fancy menu and animations come at a cost ;)). So without going there the player will have the opportunity to enable or disable them from the city or at sea. But as simple as it sounds, the player needs to see a confirmation of his action so we have to think about a way of showing it. Maybe in the LogBook? The player has access to it both in the city and at sea. If you guys like this idea or have a better one then let us know.
jjlonbar

Post by jjlonbar »

Good evening all!
First of all my compliments to the devs for the amazing job.
I'm able to play the game on emulation and also on real amiga with a real 2.5" hard disk and workbench 2.1 but if i try to play the game with a BetterWB installed on a sd card or in winuae i'm not able to play it, does anyone know if there is a known issue with BetterWB and how can i solve it?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Thanks @jjlonbar, good to hear you like it! :thumbsup

Any Workbench version: Just Make sure there's no AutoUpdateWB in WBStartup. And avoid running programs that do constant updates in the background. It's not a must but it's better to keep the system free of other tasks, especially when you play the game online.

During the development, I often keep RC-FTPd open (FTP server on the Amiga side) and USB stack running (Freeway and/or Triton) without any issues but that's not recommended anyways ;)
jjlonbar

Post by jjlonbar »

Hi thanks for your reply!

I did a quick check and i do not have AutoUpdateWB in WBStartup on winuae and on sd.
I did also another test using winuae with the real hard disk and the BetterWB hard file mounted, if i try to start the game from WB 2.1 selecting the icon installed in the BetterWB folder it works (I don't know if it can be useful :D :D :D ).

Thank you!
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Nobody reported from WB2.1 so far so yes, this info is valuable :thumbsup
xboxown

Post by xboxown »

Wb 2.1 is redundant isn’t it? Rare to see 2.1 users. 😼 although it is hot to befriend you in the game while you are on 2.1 and I am on 3.2.1 Heheheh