Game crashes after a few minutes

Amiga Game
pellejones

Game crashes after a few minutes

Post by pellejones »

Game dies after a few minutes. First it gets completely unresponsive. Mouse still moves but clicking anything does nothing. Then screen goes black. Then this screen occurs:

After this I get the error code 8000 0004

Specs are:
A1200
Workbench 3.1 (40.42) installed on CF Card
Kickstart 39.106
ACA1221 accelerator with 9 MB fast ram
Predseda
B-Tester

Re: Game crashes after a few minutes

Post by Predseda »

First thing, that I suggest to everyone: did you try to run VirusZ through you Amiga? My game also crashed and I found HNY96 infection.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Welcome
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this content.

As Predseda suggested, scan it against viruses but I think the problem lies somewhere else. How much Chip and Fast RAM free do you have before starting the game? Also, the online feature requires almost all 8 MB Fast. And Chip RAM is crucial for the graphics and music/SFX so if it's not enough you will definitely experience crashes.
Let us know, we'll assist further.
pellejones

Post by pellejones »

Before starting i have 1.7 MB chip and 8.2 MB fast. I do not use the online features.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

That should be enough. I recommend scanning the system with the latest VirusZ. Here's the official webpage: VirusZ III
I'm not implying your system has a virus but it's better to rule this out.

Other than that, did you unpack the game from the archive or downloaded using the installer? If the former, was it Lha or Lzx? What software did you use to unpack the archive? It may seem irrelevant but we've had many cases where users used xad unpacker which resulted in corrupted extracted files. Others had issues with MaxTransfer on their partitions while someone else had a program in WBStartup that was causing problems.
pellejones

Post by pellejones »

Virus check done, no virus :/

Upacked it in shell with:

Code: Select all

lha e aquabyss bla bla
properly,m instead of using DOPUS Arc Extract and tried booting the game with more mem (removing background and colors). Started with 1.9 MB chip and 8.7 MB fast but got the same result.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Please, try the Lzx package instead. Let's make sure the same thing happens (or hopefully not) on both archives. Then we'll be sure that there's something else in the system.
Other than that, a few ACA users had issues with the game on those cards. However, I got one supposedly problematic ACA model for tests and I could not confirm those reports — the game worked perfectly fine. Then, it turned out it was something else. But in each case it's something different so it's difficult to say.

Ah, one more thing. Boot the Amiga without startup-sequence and start the game, once you're in the game's directory, by: execute aquabyss. This is also a very good test to determine whether it's the game, the system, or something else.
pellejones

Post by pellejones »

OK! Extracted (again) with Lzx this time. Now I did not even make it into Paris before the same crash happened.

Booting without startup-sequence and executing gives me: AQB Program Failed (error #80000004) Wait for disk activity to finish.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

OK, thanks for this test. Another thing. What filesystem do you use? What's the MaxTransfer value?
Is this your only Amiga?
pellejones

Post by pellejones »

Ah how do I check filesystem and maxtransfer?