Software Failure error today when trying to enter Paris dock

Amiga Game
328GTS

Re: Software Failure error today when trying to enter Paris dock

Post by 328GTS »

Predseda wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 pm Also scan your Amiga for viruses. It MAY be a problem - I personally got my Amiga infected with Happy New Year 96 during Aquabyss testing without noticing and it had similar symptoms. Just in case.
I haven’t scanned my Amiga for viruses in a long time so that’s a good idea for sure!
328GTS

Post by 328GTS »

well it took a long time but my virus scan found 2 viruses. Rebooted and played AquaByss for an hour and half going back to Paris dock with no issue so I don’t know if that solved the issue but it’s working today anyhow ;)
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Predseda wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 pm Also scan your Amiga for viruses. It MAY be a problem - I personally got my Amiga infected with Happy New Year 96 during Aquabyss testing without noticing and it had similar symptoms. Just in case.
Good call, @Predseda. I totally forgot about that case. It took us months to finally find out that it was HNY96.
DaMi

Post by DaMi »

Most users don't worry about viruses, and often don't even have an antivirus program, but viruses are often behind system instability.
Predseda
B-Tester

Post by Predseda »

Actually my entire sysrem had to be reinstalled which @DaMi did during a perfect overnight session :)
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

328GTS wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:54 am well it took a long time but my virus scan found 2 viruses.
I'd recommend wiping the system and installing a fresh copy of WB. From my experience, repaired files aren't always the same as the original (but that may depend on the virus type and/or antivirus software). I remember comparing the content of one of the infected and supposedly repaired files back in the day with the original copy and they were different. This may seem not important but if you experience problems in the game then I'd say it should be eliminated in the first place.