Collective thread including solutions for installation and game problems

Amiga Game
Foxman

Collective thread including solutions for installation and game problems

Post by Foxman »

Problem

Game launch problem/Game does not start

On my 3.1.4 System A1200/060 the language selection appeared after starting. You could move the mouse pointer, but you could only select the language with a button (1 or 2).

Solution:

After countless hours I found the error. It was a "Micromys entry" in UserStartUp that BestWB (or BetterWB) probably entered there at the time.
After removing the entry, I can confirm the language selection with the left mouse button and the game starts as it should.

How did I find out? First I disabled everything in the WB Startup folder. Later I renamed UserStartup. After that it worked.
Then gradually excluded everything and see which entry caused the error. Sometimes it can be that simple.

Problem

Installation Problem with Workbench 3.2/3.2.1

With Workbench 3.2.1 you will find the "AutoUpdateWB" in the WB Startup drawer in the system directory.
This prevents correct installation. This ends in a black screen and nothing else happens.

Solution:

Deactivate or move this file (e.g. create a new subfolder in the WB Startup).
After that, the installation should be possible normally.
Aged Code
Developer

Re: Collective thread including solutions for installation and game problems

Post by Aged Code »

One of the fresh players had the following issue:
The game after launching on the system does not start. A grey screen flashes for a while and nothing happens. On launching without SS it starts up.
The culprit turned out to be ENV-Handler.
328GTS

Post by 328GTS »

haven't played in a week and today Im getting an error saying my game client is too old and I can't automatically update???

says I need to use 'the installer' so please someone tell me what installer I need to use and I'm praying this won't affect my progress etc :? :?:
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

Yes, that's intended. Due to the new method of updating the game older clients need to be updated by using the installer (files: AQBInstall109.lha* or AQBInstall.adf). Login to your shop account or download it from the FTP.
You may install the game in the same directory. Your save game will remain there, nothing will be deleted, and only the core game files will be overwritten as well as additional new ones downloaded. And of course, your progress is untouched.

*The installer 1.09 will be first updated to 1.22. Start it again and then the game will be installed.
328GTS

Post by 328GTS »

@ Aged Code

thanks for the detailed explanation all worked great :thumbsup
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

You're welcome, captain :thumbsup
CptJohnArcher
B-Tester

Post by CptJohnArcher »

Maybe the message could be more clear, at least where to get the installer and _maybe_ even include the version number. It was confusing to me, I looked at the FTP and saw the last installer version is from October 2022, so I thought this is outdated. But it seems not. :-) Anyway, as I said, maybe the message should be more clear which version to use and from where to get.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

It doesn't matter because once the installer connects to the server it's being updated 😉
Either way, both the installer and the game will be soon updated in the shop and FTP.
Aged Code
Developer

Post by Aged Code »

The latest version of the game and installer has been uploaded to the shop account and FTP.